Wednesday, 13 April 2011

10 Introductory phrases to avoid

TCTC have been analysing sales calls in preparation for training for more than 15 years.  In that time we have come across a wide range of destructive, introductory statements in sales calls.  The 10 most common examples are:

- This is just a courtesy call...
- This is just a catch up call...
- I won't take up too much of your time...
- I am calling to introduce you to...
- I am sorry to bother you...
- We have not spoken before...
- I was just following up on literature we sent to you...
- This is not a sales call...
- I am calling from a company called...
- I was just wondering...

Some of these statements could be improved with slight amendments, others are so poor they must be avoided completely.  These statements invite an instinctively negative response from your customer.
The first step in improving the quality of your sales calls is to avoid these phrases.  For ideas on how to replace these read the article on statements of intent: